Municipality of Kakanj
A fairytale-like village adorned with a unique vernacular architecture typical of central Bosnia
Traditional Crafts And Handcrafts
Main Tourism Products
Kraljeva Sutjeska, together with the Bobovac fortress, was the seat of the Bosnian kings of the Kotromanić dynasty. The royal town of BOBOVAC (territorially belongs to the municipality of Vareš) is approximately 11 kilometers from Kraljeva Sutjeska. Although it is possible to get to the fortress itself by car, it is recommended to walk along the Bukovica river valley.
Total number of available accommodations in the village: 2
At a distance of 15 minutes
Festival of traditional folk dances in Kraljeva sutjeska
The old medieval town of Bobovac
– Tombstone Necropolis in the village of Nažbilj
– Ponijeri mountain and Bočica mountain with a mountain lodge
– A walk through the Bukovica canyon to the old town of Bobovac
- The monastery archive has 453 books from the 16th century, 541 from the 17th, 1,687 from the 18th, and 1,050 books from the first half of the 19th century. The museum also keeps registry books from 1641 (the oldest in BiH), numerous manuscripts and chronicles. There are many written documents from the 15th to the 19th century (about 3,500 documents) important for the research of our domestic history. As an example, we cite the Donation of King Matijaš Corvinus from 1481, which refers to Bosnia and Dalmatia.
- According to folk tradition, the mosque in Kraljeva Sutjeska dates back to 1463, when Kraljeva Sutjeska was at the peak of its development. Tradition says that the mosque was built by Mehmed II the Conqueror, after the conquest of Bobovac, in just a few days. At the time of the medieval Turkish conquest, it was a border mosque, popularly known as the Soldier’s Mosque. The mosque has a rectangular base, dimensions 7.93 x 13.10 m. It is built of bricks with the use of wooden beams (the foundations and walls of the ground floor of the central area of the mosque up to the height of the plinth are made of stone), and the external and internal facades are plastered and painted. The roof structure is wooden, and double-folded tiles are used as a cover. The original covering was made of shingles.
- The minaret, with an octagonal cross-section, is made of 8 wooden edge posts with a quadrangular section, and the cross-section of these wooden posts gradually narrows from the base of the minaret to its top. The vertical structure of the minaret rests on a floor made in the form of a wooden grill, which rests on the transverse load-bearing wall of the mosque. By closing the portico area, and establishing gasulhana, abdestahana and classroom, putting tiles as a roof covering, painting interventions in the interior, the mosque lost its originality, which is corrected by returning it to its original state. In the harem of the mosque there are about 50 tombstones.
is a tradition still kept in Kraljeva Sutjeska until today and is a symbol of mourning for Queen Katarina, who, after the fall of the Bosnian kingdom under Ottoman rule, had to leave her children and country and die abroad. A black headscarf was worn and is worn by Catholic women from childhood until death as a sign of mourning for Queen Katarina, which is why she got the name “katarinka”. Today, this tradition is practiced most often for special holidays that are celebrated in Kraljeva Sutjeska (such as Ivan’s Day).